I’ve had a slow cooker for a number of years now and rarely use it. I have such a difficult time finding recipes that I think are healthy enough for my family. Well here’s one that I found at skinny Ms. that we loved-Polynesian Chicken! As far as the recipe goes, I did substitute Coconut Liquid Aminos for the Braggs that the recipe suggests. I also recommend cooking this for only 4 hours. If you have a corn allergy, just substitute potato starch for corn starch. This is a great dairy free, gluten free meal!
- Monster Nutrition Mungo the nutrition monster will eat everything in his path. Kids must quickly choose what to feed him: the healthier their choices, the higher their score. www.nutritionexplorations.org/kids/activities/monster.asp
- MyPyramid Blast Off Kids can reach outer space by fueling a rocket with healthy foods and physical activity. Each food group has a separate fuel tank so kids can keep track of how their choices fit into the food pyramid www.mypyramid.gov/kids/kids_game.html
- Nutrition Tracker This downloadable game encourages kids to keep track of what they eat and compares their food choices with the daily recommended servings for each food group. www.nutritionexplorations.org/kids/activities/tracker.asp
- Chef Solus’s Cooking School Kids cook with Chef Solus by following recipes and learning about healthy food choices. www.nourishinteractive.com/en/kids/solus-cooking-game/solus-cooking-game
I’ve had some requests for the recipes of meals my daughter loves. Here are just a couple very easy and tasty dishes.
4 medium sized whole wheat tortillas
1 cup Eggplant Garlic Spread (Trader Joes‘s)
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Cover each tortilla with 1/4 cup eggplant spread and place on baking sheet. Top with tomatoes and feta
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tortillas are golden and crisp on edges.
This is a spin off the above recipe and makes taco night different and interesting!
Prepare above recipe, fold into a taco, and add bite size pieces of cooked chicken.